Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mum's Mee Soto

OK .. as mentioned in yesterday's post, I wanted to serve my guests Mum's Mee Soto and I did. Sifu Sainah (dats my mum by the way) .. hehe .. was at my house to give me a hand at cooking Mee Soto as it is my first time.

Ingredients

1 whole chicken cut into 12 pieces, cleaned
2 heaped tbsp coriander seeds
1 level tsp cumin seeds
5 - 7 big onions, roughly chopped
3 pips garlic, roughly chopped
3 cm fresh turmeric
3 candlenut
2 red chillies, roughly chopped
1 lemongrass
2 lime leaves
2 salam leaves
water
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp sweet soya sauce
salt and sugar to taste
oil

Method

In a blender, grind coriander seeds, onion, garlic, turmeric, cumin, candlenut and chillies with a lil bit of water.
Heat some oil in a pot and fry the ground ingredients till fragrant and crisp.
Press the end of lemongrass with a pestle and put in the lime and salam leaves and put them in the pot.
Add some salt and sugar then add enough water and leave it to boil on high flame.
Once it has started to boil, lower the flame and put in the chicken pieces and leave it to coook.
Add in the coconut milk and sweet soya sauce and leave it boil again.
Leave it for a moment and turn off heat.

Serve chicken soup hot with noodle or vermicelli or rice cakes and blanched beansprouts.
Top it off with condiments such as fried crispy shallots, chopped cilantro and spring onions and "sambal kicap" - made of ground birds eye chillies, garlic and sweet soya sauce.


Oh yeah .. Mum's Mee Soto was also a hit with the guests .. really kewl stuff.
This is my first time cooking this and surely not the last .. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have been looking for a yummy Mee Soto Recipes for awhile.
I noticed this recipe had coconut milk. I just don't remember the broth being thick like if milk was added.. Is that your mom's version???

Related Posts with Thumbnails